7.30.2013

Refinished Chest

I recently inherited my Grandmother's cedar chest.  It's definitely a bittersweet thing for me.  My grandma actually passed away when I was in Junior High.  When she died the chest went to my wonderful Aunt Susan.  Unfortunately, my aunt suffered from poor health for many years, and she died in April.  Because her and her husband were never able to have children, the chest came to me.  I loved my aunt, and when we moved into our current home she lived just down the street.  I already miss her terribly, so I am thrilled to have her and my grandmother's chest.  

I debated for a long time on whether or not I should refinish it, and I finally just went ahead and did it!
It was a beautiful chest before:

I really like some of the details on it:


It does have a few problems, like the chipping veneer on the bottom.  But not enough for me to strip it, so I just painted over it!!  I figured since its mine, I wouldn't care enough!

I chose Valspar's Betsy's Linen, and Martha Stewart's Metallic paint in Vintage Gold for the accents. 
 I wanted those details to stand out.
I painted the gold accents first, thinking I could get away with not having to tape...

Yeah, so after I painted the white, I had to tape, then go back and touch up the gold!

To finish, I sanded, then used Martha Stewart's Metallic Glaze:



I like the way it turned out, and although it has been refinished, it still reminds me of my aunt every time I look at it!




9 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up at Dorothy Sue and Millie B's too. You did a great job and I love that metallic glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it both ways. What a special treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the water fall edges of your chest and your refinish:) Pinning! I Posted DIY Doily Jacket this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a chest almost identical to yours. I did a horrible job refinishing. You have inspired me to paint it. I love the look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit, I don't usually love waterfall furniture, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!! I want one, you did an excellent Job! thank you for much for linking up to my Paint Party!!

    Brooke
    startathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It's not quite my style either! Thanks Brooke!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...